About Gun Stoppers
Launched in Feb. 2017, Gun Stoppers is a partnership between the Greensboro Police Department and the Greensboro/Guilford Crime Stoppers program. The goal is to reduce violent crime by encouraging people to report illegal weapons in our city.
Using resources and methods popularized by “Crime Stoppers”, people can submit anonymous tips about firearms possessed by felons, stolen guns, firearms used in crimes, and guns deemed illegal under North Carolina law.
Gun Stoppers pays a minimum of a $250 cash reward to anyone who notifies the tip line of an illegal weapon, and that tip leads to an arrest and/or confiscation of an illegal gun by the Greensboro Police Department or Guilford County Sheriff’s Office. Simply report the Gun Stoppers tip to Crime Stoppers by calling 336-373-1000 or click Submit A Tip!
Gun Stoppers Stats to Date: (Inception: February 2017)
Stats Updated: 2/10/2023
WHAT IS AN ILLEGAL GUN?
To qualify as an illegal weapon, the firearm must either be possessed illegally and/or illegally modified. A weapon is possessed illegally if it is in the control of a person who cannot lawfully have a firearm.
Such people can include (but are not limited to):
· Persons prohibited from possessing by a court as part of a domestic violence protective order
· Fugitives from justice
· Illegal aliens
· Persons dishonorably discharged from the US Armed Forces
Illegal firearms include:
· Sawed-off rifles or shotguns
· Automatic weapons
· Machine guns
· Those with illegal silencers
· Nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons
· Any firearm that has been illegally altered from its original manufactured state
· Stolen weapons